Cynthia, a Tax Manager at JAK, specializes in trusts, estates, and individual tax returns. She has a passion for transparent communication and making the complexities of estates & trusts become simple for her clients. Because of her diligence and focus, Cynthia is the go-to person for projects that require tedious attention to detail.
After moving back to Minnesota in 2013, Cynthia was recruited into a full-time position with JAK after inquiring about seasonal tax work. She had years of experience working for a CPA firm in Florida and has been engaged in tax season work for the past 16 years. She is a self-taught savant, learning the complexities of the tax industry as she expanded her career. After helping her family work through a complicated estate, she realized her strengths were put to best use by guiding others to successfully navigate through this life altering event.
Outside of the office, Cynthia is a devoted caregiver to her family and is an ardent supporter for the advancement of education. When she has time to relax, you’ll find her traveling or spending time with her adult children. She collects Ming and Qing dynasty porcelain, a pastime that originated from her experience of living and working in China for over 15 years.
- Master of International Management (MIM) in International Business and Accounting, Thunderbird School of Global Management, 1986
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations/ Chinese Language, University of Minnesota, 1985
Licensing, Memberships & Honors
- Enrolled Agent (EA), 2017
- Member of Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)
- Member of National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA)
- Member of Minnesota Society of Enrolled Agents (MNSEA)
- Member of Twin Cities Estate Planning Council (TCEPC)
Recent Blog Posts by Cynthia McLagan
- Are you the rightful owner of unclaimed property?
- Choosing a Personal Representative for Your Estate, Part 1: Why It Matters
- Choosing a Personal Representative for Your Estate, Part 2: Avoiding Family Feuds
- Quick Reference Guide: What to Do When Someone Passes
- 3 Must-Have Professionals for Your Estate Planning Team